09 Jul Lily Pad – Ingestion of Long Foreign Object [Video]
Lily Pad was a recent Patient of the Week who wanted to re-introduce with a short video of her story.
This cute and playful troublemaker is Lily Pad. She came to Mountainside quickly when her human discovered her chewing up a string teaser cat toy.
Under strict supervision in hospital, vomiting was induced successfully. Not only did the string come up but several rubber bands too! Due to Lily Pad’s owners’ quick action, she was very lucky this time.
Ingestion of long foreign objects like string, thread, ribbon, rubber bands and dental floss can become lodged in your pet’s stomach and intestines. These “linear foreign bodies” can be particularly damaging, as the intestines bunch around the long object and compromise the blood supply.
Cats enjoy playing with string and string-like objects and can accidentally or sometimes intentionally swallow them. It can even be common in some cats to obsessively collect rubber bands and elastics and when taken to emergency surgery had dozens of them removed!