10 Oct Avoid a Trip to the ER this Thanksgiving Weekend
Holiday weekends are unfortunately one of the busiest times for ER hospitals. Here are some things to watch out for:
- Poultry bones that can be a choking hazard or create an intestinal blockage requiring surgery.
- Fatty foods such as turkey or turkey skin or gravy are hard to digest and can cause indigestion, vomiting and diarrhea. More serious and potentially life-threatening is a condition called pancreatitis requiring a trip to the ER and intensive care.
- Beware of certain poisonous foods, ingredients or plants. Some examples include onions, raisins, grapes, chocolate, pie dough and more.
- Xylitol, found in gum, peanut butter and certain baked goods is also poisonous.
- Lilly plants and certain ferns are some of the common plants that are toxic to pets.
Contact the Pet Poison hotline for a more comprehensive list: http://www.dpic.org/links/aspca-animal-poison-control-center or call your local veterinarian.
Mountainside Animal Hospital & 24 Hr Emergency Services is OPEN 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including ALL holidays.